training my brain to shut up


So one thing that I absolutely love about Elisabeth Elliot is that whenever she is worried or anxious about anything she just journals a butt load of bible verses. How smart is that? Basically what she is doing is telling God that his words are more important than her worried thoughts. I am desperately trying to learn this technique. If there is anything I have learned this year is that I do not handle stress very well. The minute I start thinking about the object of my worry, my heart begins racing and does not stop until I can begin working on a solution to my worry. While these panic attacks are great for late night study sessions, I am pretty sure that they are bad for my body and for my spiritual life. So I am in the process of training my brain, to spit out all my worrisome thoughts, and treasure all the verses that are useful for training in righteousness.
Here are my current brain shut up verses:
Job 42: 2 I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.
Hebrews 11: 40 God had planned something better for us...
2 Corinthians 5:2 Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling...
Revelation 21: 3-4 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.

0 comments: