that day

This is the first day in two weeks that my days have not been planned out from the minute I wake up until the thirty minutes before I go to bed. I don't know what to do with all this free time! I keep walking to my room to read Revolution in World Missions, and then back out to the living room so I can study, and then to the kitchen so I can clean something. Nothing productive is getting done!

So yesterday, was one of those days that will forever be a spiritual landmarker for me: The day I learned about the poor. Not that I didn't know they existed before, because duh I have eyes. But I never knew how absolutely essential caring for the poor is. I never stopped to think about why God talks about the poor so much or why he promises them blessings to come. I have always been content to sit here and give whatever is easy for me to give. Why? Because I care more about myself than others. I choose my mouth to be fed first.

Listen to: The Gospel Demands Radical Giving

I pray that I will never go back to the way I thought before yesterday. I pray that I will never spend money without considering how it can be better used to serve God's kingdom. I pray that my hurt would not stop hurting for those who are needy. I pray that I would never be satisfied by giving; that I would always want to give more. I pray that you would listen and be moved too.

*Disclaimer: Do not listen to this podcast while you are driving. I am not a crier, and I ended up sobbing while driving along the highway at 75 mph. Not exactly the safest thing. But so worth it.

Deuteronomy 15:11
There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

0 comments: