Kneeling before the Porcelain Throne

WARNING: Not for those with weak stomachs.

At approximately 12:05 on Sunday night I woke up to begin what was going to be my most philosophical sickness yet. I made it to the bathroom in time, but I had to throw up in the trashcan because my rear end was occupying the toilet. Don't worry, I made it in the toilet every other time. After my second time throwing up I realized how good I have it. I can throw up in this big white toilet and then flush and everything goes away. What about people who don't have toilets? What do they do when they are sick? I realized I could not wait until morning to go get some Sprite and saltines, so I put a sweatshirt on over my nightie and went to CVS at 130. I am sure I was a very welcome sight in my pjs and slippers carrying my trashcan around with me (not kidding... I really brought my trashcan in with me.) The cashier was very sympathetic and after I apologized profusely and assured him that I really wasn't trying to make him sick, he told me how grateful he was that I had brought my trashcan because yesterday some little kid came in and threw up... I didn't hear the rest of the story because I shoved my fingers in my ears and said "DON'T TELL THROW UP STORIES NOW!!!" As I was driving back home I realized what a luxury it is to be able to drive to the store and immediately get what you want when you are sick. As I lay back down in bed, I kept thinking over and over again about how I didn't deserve for my life to be this easy. Sickness isn't life-threatening, it's merely an inconvenience. I repeatedly asked God to give me joy and humility - that I wouldn't use my "sickness" as an excuse to have people serve me, but to consider others better than myself. Later in the day I popped in the thermometer to discover that I am now running a low grade fever. I call my mom, we chat about it, she tells me the best option is to let my fever run its course so that it will kill the virus naturally, but I can take some advil if I get really uncomfortable or my fever climbs too high. What a luxury it is to have the option to take medicine. After 11 hours of sleep, I am totally fine. You would never know that 24 hours ago I was kneeling over the toilet throwing up everything I had ever eaten (slight exaggeration).

Honestly, I had never really considered how easy illness is here in the U.S.

 My worst day would be a luxury to most of the world.

Just something to think about next time you kneel before a porcelain throne.

0 comments: