set apart eating.




So one of the things that God has been teaching me lately is that there need to be obvious differences between my life and life the way the world does it. God has shown me so many areas that I just naturally assume are ok, because that's the way it has always been, but it should not be so!


Ephesians 5: 8-10

For you once were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.


So here are my thoughts attempting to find out what pleases the Lord by the way that we deal with food:


We eat junk. So much of what we consume is horrible for our bodies. Soda, cookies, chips, cake, sugar, sugar, sugar, and salt, salt, salt. I personally love soda. To the point where I was mad for a day at the person who drank the Dr. Pepper I won from the bookstore. Love it. But if I know that my body is a temple, and if I know that soda is not good for me, then should I really continue to drink it? I am not good at treating my temple well. I eat junk food and don't work out as much as I should. But if I really believe what God's word says that my body is his temple, the place where he will come to dwell, then how can I continue to treat it so poorly?


1 Corinthians 3:16, 6:19-20; 2 Corinthians 6:16-17; Daniel 1:8-16


We waste so much food. I know I am so guilty of it. I am not the biggest fan of leftovers. I only eat them now because I am a poor college student. But over $100 billion worth of food is wasted each year. I seriously was just sitting here eating leftover rice and my first thought was "gag me" but then I was immediately convicted that there are so many people who don't even have the option to eat leftovers. They don't even have enough to eat in the first place! It just breaks my heart that I am so selfish to not want to eat perfectly good food when 1.05 billion go hungry.


Matthew 25:34-45, Ezekiel 18: 4-9


SO much of what we do revolves around food. We go out to eat for dates, birthdays, any possible event of celebration. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but is it really necessary? You spend more money and typically the food is not as good for you compared to eating a healthy meal at home.


I definitely feel convicted to just be careful about what I put into my body. Not that I will never do any of these things again. I probably will. And then I will probably feel bad about it. The real point is: I cannot take anything for granted about the way I am supposed to live. I need to give prayerful consideration about how to honor God with my eating. Because He is worth honoring with every part of my life.

0 comments: